Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple is located in Sebatu Village, Tegalalang, Gianyar, Bali. This spiritual attraction has an area about 5000 square meters and has been come by tourists since the 1970s. The environment in this temple is still very natural and beautiful. Even right behind the temple there are green cliffs and forests and gives a cool fresh feel.
Like a temple in general, Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple also adheres to the Tri Mandala system which consists of Jaba Pura, Jaba Tengah, and Jeroan. In the Jaba of the temple section (outside courtyard), there are public baths that are often used by locals to take a shower.
This bathhouse has a large pool with very clear and refreshing water and is equipped with showers. The position of the bathing pool is in the right part of Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple complex.
There are also fish ponds containing the Koi fish of various types and sizes. This fish pond is sacred so that no one can take or catch fish in this pond.
In the outer courtyard of the temple there is also an open hall. This hall is used as a place for meetings of Sebatu Village residents. It can also be used as a resting place for visitors while enjoying the beauty of the atmosphere in the temple.
Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple is estimated to have been built in 1300 AD to 1500 AD. Historically, Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple was established as a place of worship of Lord Vishnu at the behest of Rishi Markandeya.
Rishi Markandeya is a teacher (Maharishi) who spread Hinduism from Java. He was a person from the Majapahit Kingdom who had influence in the archipelago to the Kingdom of Bali as well.
The meaning of the name Gunung Kawi Sebatu Temple comes from the word "Gunung which means The mount” and "Kawi which means made" and "Sebatu" which refers to the name of the village where this temple was built.
This temple is classified as "Dhang Kahyangan Temple" which means that all Hindus in Bali may worship in this temple. So that not only The Sebatu Villagers can worship at this temple but all Hindus in Bali are allowed to pray here.
Because it is a holy location, the tourist who come are required to wear traditional clothing. In the entrance window area, a cloth is provided to lend to the tourist.